Sunday, April 26, 2009

Silver Jewelry - Top Reasons It's a Great Buy Online

Silver is a great choice in buying jewelry. The reason for this is that is relatively inexpensive compared to gold or platinum, but its brilliant sheen is still very attractive. Silver goes with almost any type of clothing style or color. It is extremely versatile. The only silver jewelry pieces that may be higher in cost are those that are handmade. But handmade pieces may not have as nice of a finish because of this.

Silver is a soft metal, therefore it must be mixed with alloys to create sturdy enough metal to form jewelry. Good quality sterling silver should be .925 in purity. This number means that in every 100 grams of sterling silver, 92.5% of the jewelry is pure silver, while the remaining 7.5% is made up of other metal alloys.

Sterling silver necklaces, bracelets, rings, earrings, anklets, charms and pins are available for very reasonable prices. The silver can be paired with precious stones or for a more affordable option with cubic zirconium in various colors. Silver is the perfect complement to any gem. Charm bracelets are especially common in sterling silver. For a more complete look think about purchasing a sterling silver jewelry set that includes matching earrings and pendant. These also make great affordable gifts that any girl would love!

The alloys in silver react to the air around them and create tarnish over time. Therefore, silver jewelry requires regular cleaning. Some people use toothpaste to clean their silver jewelry. However, this is not recommended as it can contain baking soda, which is too abrasive and will leave dull scratches. A phosphate free detergent is the best choice for removing the tarnish and keeping your silver jewelry in pristine condition. 3M Tarni-Shield Silver Polish is a good low abrasive cleaner. Most sterling silver jewelry has a lacquer to prevent tarnishing, but that coating will fade over time. Eventually your jewelry will appear dull if not polished regularly. Any jewelry that has direct contact with your skin will likely tarnish more quickly. The oils in your skin will slowly wear down the lacquer coating and leave the jewelry dull and tarnished.

All in all, silver is a fantastic option for buying jewelry. It is much more affordable than most other jewelry, without compromising the look or quality of the pieces. It will always be in style and sure to complement whatever you're wearing. A simple silver pendant can dress up even the most casual clothes. So, consider adding to your silver jewelry collection today.

Denise Sanger is the owner a popular website devoted to jewelry of all designs and styles. Visit the site for additional information on sterling silver jewelry including silver earrings, silver necklaces, silver rings, and silver charms along with many other jewelry styles. We are located in Sunny North Florida.

invicta watches
cartier watch
citizen watch

No comments: